Handheld Group has released its latest ultra-rugged tablet computer - the Algiz 8X. The tablet offers communication features such as LTE and dual-band WLAN, along with an 8-inch projective capacitive ultra-bright touchscreen built for outdoor use. The tablet can be used with gloves and will continue to work in rain.
The chemically strengthened glass has survived an impact test in which a 64-gram steel ball is dropped on the screen 10 times from a height of 1.2 meters. The Algiz 8X also comes with an optional active capacitive stylus. The tablet runs on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. It also features:
• u-blox GPS and GLONASS
• WLAN a/b/g/n/ac
• BT 4.2 LE
• A rear-facing 8 MP camera with autofocus and LED flash
In terms of expansion options the Algiz 8X offers LAN port, COM port or barcode scanner options. It also features a ‘backpack’ system which allows users to add custom features and electronics.
“The new Algiz 8X is the most compact and ergonomic Windows tablet we have ever developed. We’ve pushed the limits of modern field technology with this product, fulfilling customers’ needs for powerful computing, mobility, outstanding screen performance and battery life. We made no compromises,” said Johan Hed, director of product management.
The Algiz 8X has been tested for use in tough outdoor and industrial environments. It is IP65-rated for dust and water ingression and meets stringent MIL-STD-810G military standards for:
• Operating temperature: -20°C to 60°C (-4°F to 140°F) — Method 501.5, Procedure II
• Storage temperature: -40°C to 70°C (-40°F to 158°F) — Method 501.5/502.5, Procedure I
• Drops: 26 drops from 1.22 meters (4 feet) — Method 516.6, Procedure IV
• Vibration: Method 514.6, Procedures I & II
• Humidity: 0-95% (non-condensing) — Method 507.5
• Altitude: 4,572 meters (15,000 feet) — Method 500.5, Procedure I.
Orders can be placed immediately, units will be in stock in March 2017.