Xirrus has introduced the XA4 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi access point (AP) incorporating external antennas to optimise coverage and performance in large venues and open-space environments. The company claims it is the industry’s first four-radio 802.11ac Wave 2 AP.
The XA4 manages up to one thousand simultaneous connections, while other solutions only manage up to 500 connections, according to Xirrus. The XA4 is particularly targeted at providing high-density Wi-Fi in locations such as convention centres, arenas, transportation hubs and warehouses.
Xirrus claims its APs reduce the amount of equipment deployed by up to 75%, and decrease total cost of ownership by up to 50% versus competitive solutions. The XA4 Wave 2 solution provides the device density and bandwidth capacity to deliver reliable service in demanding environments and the antenna flexibility to tune coverage and quickly adapt to changing conditions.
The external antennas on the XA4 enable IT to focus Wi-Fi capacity on high-traffic areas where and when it is needed most.
Xirrus XA4 features include:
• Ultra high density – four radio AP supports up to 1,000 Wi-Fi connections simultaneously, which significantly reduces equipment, maintenance, and installation costs.
• Customised coverage – external antennas provide the flexibility to fine-tune radio frequency coverage for high density areas and optimise spectrum usage.
• Superior Wi-Fi experience – supports the full specification of 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi at up to 3.47 Gbps data rates per radio (faster than any other solution on the market, according to Xirrus) and a total of 16 multi-user MIMO (MU-MIMO) streams per AP.
• Adaptive architecture – software-defined solution allows venues to grow and adapt over time as Wi-Fi clients change. All four radios on the XA4 can operate at full 802.11ac Wave 2 speeds – four times what traditional APs offer.
• Flexible Management – Cloud-based or on-premise Xirrus Management System (XMS) provides zero-touch provisioning, integrated EasyPass access control, and powerful analytics to maximize the utility of the Wi-Fi network to the venue.
“At the high end of our Wi-Fi portfolio, Xirrus offers purpose-built Wi-Fi solutions optimised to meet the high device densities found in large venues. These solutions have been proven in some of the highest density deployments in the world, supporting tens of thousands of concurrent users,” said Bruce Miller, VP of product marketing, Xirrus.
“The new XA4 extends the portfolio with a flexible option for delivering Wi-Fi services in these scenarios. And by replacing up to four traditional access points with one XA4, the solution provides significant savings to our customers in initial and ongoing expenditures.”