Keysight Technologies has announced the volume launch of its solution for testing 802.11ad Wi-Fi devices. The E7760A wideband transceiver is an integrated test solution which supports the IEEE 802.11ad wireless standard. The solution was introduced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona earlier this year.
The 802.11ad standard (once known as WiGig) uses the 60 GHz band and is designed to support high data rate, short-range file transfers and communications.
“Our customers are looking for millimetre wave over-the-air solutions with good performance to bring 60 GHz applications to market,” said Kailash Narayanan, vice president and general manager of Keysight’s Wireless Devices segment.
“The E7760A and M1650A package is a compact solution that addresses the comprehensive set of 802.11ad standard requirements and delivers the required performance metrics. With chipset control, this solution is ideally suited for design validation and manufacturing of 60 GHz chipsets, modules and devices.”
The E7760A test solution includes:
• Embedded software that runs all required 802.11ad tests, allowing users to quickly create and analyse signals on a single screen
• A vector signal generator and vector signal analyser to validate device IF performance
• Connectivity to remote M1650A mmWave transceivers with an RF cable for over-the-air testing
• Fully calibrated test capability near the device without the need for external calibration equipment
• The ability to connect up to six M1650A’s to one E7760A to validate beam forming capability or maximise throughput by testing multiple devices in a single setup.
Keysight partnered with leading 802.11ad chipset designers to create chipset control software. These test automation tools shorten the design validation phase and increase early manufacturing throughput, according to the company.
“Over-the-air test is critical to bring millimetre wave technologies to market,” said Satish Dhanasekaran, vice president and general manager of Keysight’s Wireless Chipsets, Devices and Operators Group. "Measurements are no longer made with a cable connected to an RF connector. We are excited to launch this solution to help the industry deploy 60 GHz technology.
"The flexibility of the E7760A and M1650A solution in making OTA RF and IF measurements in an integrated form factor makes it an excellent choice for designers and a key enabler of the 60 GHz wireless device ecosystem.”