Cambium Networks, the wireless networking solutions provider, has unveiled cnReach, a narrowband radio for highly reliable and secure transmissions across long distances that are essential for Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) in sectors such as oil and gas, electric and water utilities, rail, transportation and mining applications.
Building on over a decade of investment in wireless broadband technology, Cambium Networks said it is now able to provide licensed wireless narrowband networking solutions ideally suited to connect sensors on the edge of the network to cloud-based or private data centres.
The company has been methodically evolving its product set of Point-to-Point (PTP) backhaul, Point-to-Multipoint (PMP) access and Wi-Fi wireless networking solutions to provide reliable and affordable connections that go from 2 meters to 245 kilometers in one hop.
"The narrowband connectivity of cnReach extends the communications infrastructure and backhaul, so we now have the capability and visibility to manage the entire IIoT network end-to-end," said Mike Mitchell, president, Petro Communications. “We require completely dependable connections to process sensor data and send control commands to the most remote locations in the field.”
Atul Bhatnagar, president and CEO of Cambium Networks, said: “To implement real-time visibility and control of complex operations, industry leaders need applications that can properly aggregate and distil data from the edge of the network, provide analysis and control, and then transport accumulated large volume of processed information to private and cloud-based data centres. We offer a complete solution with the cnReach platform to transport data from the node to the NOC, and cnMaestro manages the entire network in a single pane of glass.”
The cnReach N500 radio completes a full, end-to-end suite of highly resilient wireless narrowband and broadband solutions, providing network operators a complete wireless networking solution to implement their IIoT initiatives by connecting devices at the outermost edge of their operation.
The product supports licensed and unlicensed operations in the 900 MHz and 700 MHz frequencies, with additional frequencies planned, and eases the transition from serial networks to all-IP networks with extensive built-in I/O capabilities.
“cnReach enables utilities, petrochemical, and other critical infrastructure operators to unleash the full value of the Industrial Internet by turning accumulated and real-time data into insightful knowledge and critical actions,” said Bruce Collins, Director of Product Management for cnReach at Cambium Networks.
“cnReach provides the underlying communications infrastructure that is highly reliable and resilient for interconnecting sensors and controls across a large-scale field area network. This connectivity provides the vital data and control functions needed to meet compliance requirements, improve safety, and boost efficiency.”
Key features of cnReach include:
• cnMaestro software for monitoring the status of entire networks carrying traffic from sensors and controls
• Licensed 700 MHz and in 900 MHz frequencies, both licensed and unlicensed in a single radio; with additional RF bands supported in the coming months including solutions in the 100, 200 and 400 MHz frequency ranges
• Secure communications with AES 128/256-bit encryption with password authentication
• Highly reliable communications with access point synchronisation and adaptive modulation
• Single and dual radio configurations for highly-efficient relay and store-and-forward applications
• Extensive I/O capabilities easing the transition from serial to all-IP networks with multiple serial ports, Ethernet ports and analogue/digital I/O built-in
• Sophisticated network planning with LINKPlanner, a no-charge planning tool enabling network designers to predict both capacity and availability of networks crossing all of Cambium’s technologies
Key features of the cnMaestro management platform include:
• An open northbound, RESTful API that allows customers to access real-time and historical infrastructure and backhaul statistics from the edge of the field area network to the operation centre. These interfaces permit external applications to monitor end-to-end device health, radio efficiency, and network traffic.
• An alarm reporting Webhooks API that securely feeds asynchronous alarms and periodic statistics into complex event processing and data engines, supporting the integration into corporate network management and notification services.
• Administration of cnReach locations ensuring full visibility, manageability, and reliability of the network backhaul, ensuring IIoT data and operations are dependable and efficient.
With years of experience deploying private network solutions from high-capacity microwave backhaul, video surveillance, remote access, leased line replacement, Wi-Fi, and now SCADA control and monitoring systems, Cambium Networks stated that it now brings a complete suite of IIoT solutions all managed from a single pane of glass.
cnReach is available now through Cambium Networks distributors in North America.