Cobham Wireless has launched its latest digital on-board repeater for trains. The idOBR is an upgrade of Cobham’s existing on-board repeater and is designed to offer high-bandwidth in-carriage services for the railway communications market enabling passengers to connect to 4G, 3G and 2G services.
The unit is much more compact than current provisioning systems and includes a reduction in size to 2HU, making the unit more versatile than traditional solutions and offering the space savings demanded by the railway industry.
The idOBR provides MIMO, multi-technology and multi-band support to enables communication across international borders, connecting seamlessly to the Cobham Wireless range of next generation cellular coverage solutions, including its idDAS system and associated railway cellular and public safety products.
The new platform offers advantages for all stakeholders, Cobham believes. Mobile operators can enjoy an increase in throughput, versatility and customer satisfaction; train operators can reduce the space required for telecoms equipment; and for manufacturers installation is simpler and can be cheaper.
“Cobham Wireless is proud to continually push forward railway cellular communication technology,” said Ingo Flömer, director of product management, Cobham Wireless. “The idOBR will deliver high-bandwidth services utilising a fraction of the power and space requirements of traditional on-board systems.
“The extra space offered by the unit’s versatility provides train operators with the opportunity to utilise the space previously reserved for technology for increased passenger capacity or to increase the number of units deployed to further improve capacity availability in carriages.”
The idOBR supports up to four different bands on one repeater rack with the option to add additional racks to support more bands and/or MIMO. This flexible and modular approach allows customers to scale the setup based on the performance requirements, making the solution futureproof. Features include:
• Provides cellular coverage on board trains, vessels and moving vehicles
• Scalable, minimised form factor and power consumption
• 2HU 19” form factor
• Full MIMO and multi-band support for 6 bands and more
• Up to 64 sub-bands can be freely configured in each cabinet
• Support for 700MHz, 800MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 2100MHz and 2600MHz bands
• Supports all major wireless technologies including GSM, EDGE, DCS, CDMA, WCDMA, and LTE operating in any band
• Integrated GPS for automatic geo-based set up
• Fast algorithms for gain adaption for high speed applications
• Secure oscillation prevention algorithm
• Operator and technology specific gain/power setup
• IP, SNMP and web server remote supervision
• Management via web GUI, direct SNMP or AEM network management.
See also: How to get reliable wireless coverage on trains