Wi-Fi solutions provider Aerohive Networks has unveiled a new learning tool for the US market in the shape of HiveSchool, a new connected learning application that helps K-12 teachers leverage technology in the classroom.
HiveSchool is an easy way for teachers to present digital content during class, collaborate with students, monitor student activity, keep students on task, and assign a variety of learning resources.
HiveSchool is the latest addition to Aerohive’s growing application portfolio. It builds upon the success of education-focused applications such as TeacherView, which was introduced in 2010, and StudentManager, which was introduced in 2011.
In the K-12 education system, computers, tablets, projectors, and other smart devices are increasingly staples in the digital classroom. However, with this technology adoption, teachers face challenges in leveraging them effectively for the learning environment.
HIveSchool is designed to help schools unlock the potential of classroom technologies by providing teachers with a way to easily connect and utilise the devices students use during class. Its key features include:
• Easy onboarding of student devices creates a visual, intuitive class roster that populates as students join the class
• Content sharing from a teacher’s computer or from an assigned student’s computer
• Resource features enable teachers to quickly access, save, and assign to students teaching resources such as documents, webpages, applications, and video clips
• Viewing function allows teachers to remotely view student screens in real time to track progress and keep students on-task
• On Chromebooks, HiveSchool has control capabilities allowing teachers to remotely close browser tabs on student computers and limit student browsing to an assigned resource.
Aerohive is offering HiveSchool to schools as a free application to improve digital learning. HiveSchool can be run on any wireless network infrastructure, an Aerohive network is not required. HiveSchool builds on Aerohive’s experience developing learning and classroom management applications, which started with the launch of TeacherView in 2010.
HiveSchool is optimised for use on Chromebooks, but will also work on any computer that has a full Chrome browser installed. Chromebooks are increasingly popular in education and are ideal for schools because of their comprehensive ecosystem, easy-to-manage platform, and attractive price.
Pricing and availability
HiveSchool will be available free of charge in March 2016 via download from the Chrome Webstore.