Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias (Adif), Spain's national railway operator, has awarded a 10-year contract to Nokia Networks, Siemens and Thales to modernise and maintain the country's railway communication system on high-speed train lines. The contract covers a 10 year period, from 2015-2024.
This latest railway communications infrastructure and long-term maintenance contract from industry-leading suppliers will enable Adif to reduce operational costs and ensure safe, speedy and dependable train services. The responsibilities of each of the suppliers is as follows:
Nokia Networks will:
• maintain the GSM-R (Global System for Mobile Communications – Railway) communication system, including transport and radio networks, fixed telecommunications, video surveillance, centralized management and monitoring systems, and remote power systems.
• upgrade the GSM-R core network to provide network geo-redundancy for greater reliability.
• provide its GSM-R core network, subscriber data management, One-NDS (Network Directory Server) and NT-HLR (Home Location Register), NetAct 8 network management system.
• deliver professional services to provide systems integration, complete network operations and care; remote management from global delivery center to ensure high quality of services delivery.
• maintain the energy SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) of the total network and the fixed communications on high-speed line Madrid-Seville.
• upgrade the remote terminal units (RTU) for the switchgear control.
Thales Spain is:
• responsible for the maintenance and modernization of fixed communications and CCTV on the high-speed line Madrid-Valencia-Albacete, Córdoba-Málaga, Madrid-Valladolid and Madrid-Barcelona-French Border.
Spain has the longest high-speed railway network in Europe and the second longest in the world after China. Nokia Networks, Siemens and Thales are all next-generation communications solutions providers for railway networks and have maintained the communications systems for Adif in Spain for over 20 years.