Globalstar Europe Satellite Services, a wholly owned subsidiary of Globalstar Inc., has announced the availability of Sat-Fi in EMEA. With Sat-Fi, customers can use their existing smartphones and existing phone numbers to send and receive communications over Globalstar’s satellite network, offering voice and data connectivity when beyond the range of the mobile phone network.
Using a Sat-Fi satellite hot spot, up to eight individuals can make and receive voice calls and email using an app that runs on Wi-Fi enabled devices including tablets, smartphones and laptops. SMS capability will also be added soon. Subscribers maintain constant, reliable connectivity when travelling in and out of mobile network coverage.
Sat-Fi’s performance provides the fastest, most affordable, mobile satellite data speeds - four times faster than the competition - and the clearest voice communications in the industry, the company claimed.
Like all Globalstar mobile satellite solutions, Sat-Fi is designed and priced to appeal to a broad market, including enterprise and government customers who see the value of BYOD, as well as consumers. Examples include:
• Commercial fishing for crew welfare
• Emergency responders supporting natural or man-made disasters, such as forest fires and flooding, where mobile phone coverage becomes unreliable
• Recreational sailors as well as commercial boat owners and their passengers
• Remote workers in the oil and gas and alternative energy industries
• Temporary industrial worksites, particularly for the construction industry
• Hotels, campsites and residential buildings in remote locations
• Haulage and transportation companies.
“Although we live in a connected world, there are still billions of people who work, play and live in remote locations lacking reliable and affordable voice and data communications. With Sat-Fi, they now have the ability to use their own device to stay connected,” said Gavan Murphy, director of marketing EMEA, at Globalstar.
“This innovative product opens up new opportunities for business and consumers to rely on Sat-Fi to maintain reliable connectivity and peace of mind even when off the grid.”
Sat-Fi features include:
• Data speeds four times faster than the competition
• Easy initial setup - Sat-Fi can be operational within minutes to make calls and send emails
• Affordable airtime plans
• Best voice quality in the industry
• Simple 10-digit dialling and access to contacts
• Connect up to eight users simultaneously.
Sat-Fi is available now for €995 (excl. VAT).