Toughshield, the rugged enterprise device provider, has today (19 November 2013) announced the release of its newest rugged smartphone, the R500+. The devices is designed to bridging a gap in the mobile computing market, as the R500+ looks and feels like a consumer device but has the features of a rugged mobile computer.
The R500+ offers the same robust, lightweight consumer design of its R500 predecessor with the addition of a faster 1.2GHz quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor, greater onboard storage, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system and an extended 3600 mAh battery option, making it ideal for enterprise use.
Unlike a consumer smartphone, the R500+ comes with Gorilla Glass, is IP67 and MIL–STD-810G rated against dust and water ingress and is designed to withstand multiple drops to concrete.
Its ruggedised NFC-enabled design, combined with features such as dual SIM, push-to-talk and support for 1D/2D barcode scanning, make it ideal for a range of enterprise mobility applications including security guarding, field service, facilities management, domiciliary care, public sector, field workers and construction.
Commenting on the R500+, strategic planning director, Mark Davis said: “More and more enterprise customers are looking for the design and ease of use of a consumer smartphone, but with the rugged build and functionality normally only available in heavier and more expensive rugged mobile computers.
“The R500+ provides all of these features in a powerful rugged smartphone that also offers dual SIM to support bring your own device (BYOD) and workers that often travel abroad, in addition to a range of other business functionality.”
The R500+ can be pre-ordered now, with shipping scheduled for January 2014.
Dimensions & Weight
- D: 132.5mm x 71mm x 17.5mm
- W: 191.2g
- Ruggedised IP-67/MIL-810G rating
- Total protection from dust and micro particles
- Fully waterproof up to one metre for a half hour
- Withstands drops onto concrete of up to 1.2 metres
- Qualcomm MSM8225Q at 1.2GHz
- Internal: 4GB ROM / 1GB RAM,
- External: microSD, up to 32GB
- Large 3.77” WVGA multi-touch capacitive screen (480 x 800 pixels)
- Gorilla Glass
- WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
- GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- GPS/WiFi + WiFi Router/Bluetooth v3.0 with A2DP
Talk & Standby Times
- Talk time: up to 400 minutes
- Standby: up to 105 hours
- (Times will vary based on user settings and network configuration)
- 1500mAh Li-Ion
- 3600mAh Li-Ion (Optional)
- 5MP AF CMOS rear camera with LED flash
- 0.3MP front camera
- NFC enabled: Peer-to-Peer, Mobile Payment, Read and Write
- Dual SIM
- Dedicated PTT button (Push-To-Talk)
- Dedicated Lone Worker/Panic Button (SOS)
- Data Capture: 1D & 2D Barcode Scan via rear camera (S/W)
- Signature Capture Software (Optional)
- Biometrics Software – Facial/Iris recognition (Optional)
- Accelerometer, G-Sensor, Proximity and Light Sensor,
- E-Compass (Application)
- Travel adapters
- six extra screws
- Dual USB car charger with 1m USB cable
- 3600mAh battery