Alcatel-Lucent is enhancing the way mobile operators capture data and extract intelligence from their networks. By tapping into this valuable mobile broadband data, the company’s Motive Big Network Analytics solution enables service providers to optimally roll out networks and services faster, get closer to customers and be first to take advantage of new opportunities.
Mobile service providers understand that network analytics touch all parts of their organizations and can be invaluable in business decision-making. However, today’s “Big Data” is focused on capturing information in huge IT database systems that are expensive to deploy and difficult to integrate within the network.
Additionally, it can be a challenge to make sense of the raw data. As a focus area under the Shift Plan and in the role as IP Networking and Ultra Broadband specialists, Alcatel-Lucent has launched the Motive Big Network Analytics solution, the newest addition to its Ultra-Broadband portfolio, to help operators. The solution will allow them to better use their greatest asset – the network – and unlock not just data, but the intelligence to help them make future decisions.
Karl Whitelock, director global OSS/ BSS strategy, Stratecast | Frost & Sullivan, said: “Big data analytics, applied to the communications industry, offers significant business challenge. Traditional intelligence processes, which usually involve weeks of analysis, may be acceptable for certain functions but not to gain short order insight as to which value-based service offers can improve the customer experience.
“That takes real-time focus on a variety of data sources, especially those from the network, to deliver the right insight at the right time. Alcatel-Lucent is one company that is well positioned to deliver the intelligence that operators require in order to provide reliable services, add new revenue streams, and increase customer value.”
The Motive Big Network Analytics solution is comprised of:
- Alcatel-Lucent’s Wireless Network Guardian (WNG), which is already helping more than 30 service providers worldwide tap into network-based intelligence. It provides a real-time, in-context view of six critical dimensions: subscriber; device; application; network; signaling, and IP flows. It helps service providers optimize their networks, troubleshoot issues, optimize device, traffic and applications as well as understand usage trends.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s Kindsight Security Analytics, which analyses network traffic patterns to detect malware on customer’s devices.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s Big Network Analytics Data Miner combines WNG analytics with circuit-switched voice and SMS data sources and select IT/OSS/BSS data — such as subscriber data plans, profile, and billing information — into a Big Data analytics infrastructure. It generates analysis useful to improving application and network performance; to answering marketing’s questions about service usage; and to enhance customer care.
With ultra-broadband networks growing increasingly complex and virtualized to meet the always connected demands of customers, operators need to understand the impact of network changes. This might include introducing advanced services such as Voice-over LTE (VoLTE), addressing requests to access cloud applications and data, altering network congestion patterns, or optimising video delivery.
Motive Big Network Analytics can reveal how decisions will impact operators’ resources, services and customers. Intelligence can be used to identify new customer, business and market opportunities. And its unique forensic services expertise can help operators capture, extract and analyze the data required to meet their individual requirements.
Andrew McDonald, president, IP platforms division, Alcatel-Lucent, said: “Our Motive Big Network Analytics solution combines key characteristics of Big Data and mobile network analytics. It allows service providers to internally leverage their greatest asset - network data – to make better informed decisions about future deployments, service enhancements and network optimisation.
“Leveraging this data complements operator Big Data projects by allowing them to more easily identify ‘sweet spots’ for market differentiation. In turn, it introduces more exciting services and a better experience for customers.”
The Alcatel-Lucent Motive Big Network Analytics portfolio is already pre-integrated in a range of Alcatel-Lucent solutions:
- Security Services: Kindsight Mobile Security enables operators to offer value-added, network-based security services to customers.
- Customer Care: Motive ServiceView for Mobile cuts service call times and proactively solves issues to enhance the customer service experience.
- Selective Traffic Optimisation: Intelligent Traffic Management identifies congestion and selectively optimises traffic to improve service quality and network efficiency.
- Innovative Service Plans: Smart Plan enables subscribers to more easily discover, purchase and manage ultra-broadband services.