Lantronix announced the global availability of its new xPico M2M (machine-to-machine) Wi-Fi module today (7 August 2013). The xPico is a compact, embedded wireless device server designed for easy and fast machine-to-Wi-Fi connectivity.
A key differentiator for the xPico Wi-Fi module is that it offers simultaneous access point and client functionality, thereby allowing the creation of its own secure Wi-Fi network for direct access. It also maintains a Wi-Fi client connection to the existing Wi-Fi network. This allows machines to be directly accessed via smartphone or tablet.
Kurt Busch, president and CEO of Lantronix, said: “We believe the xPico-WiFi offers the ideal combination of small size, power efficiency and functionality to the M2M marketplace. With the secure access point functionality, instead of looking up cryptic codes, a technician or operator can now use a tablet as the primary interface to a machine, bringing increased productivity along with a rich user experience.”
Lantronix’ Zero-Host Load architecture means there is no need to manage or load drivers on the system or write a single line of code. The xPico Wi-Fi has been optimised to bring easy and secure wireless functionality to a wide range of machine-to-machine applications from small battery powered devices to large industrial installations, the company said.
Key features and benefits
The xPico Wi-Fi embedded module is one of the world’s smallest and easiest to use machine-to-Wi-Fi device servers, according to Lantronix. The xPico Wi-Fi device boasts a tiny footprint of 24mm x 16.5mm, and is pin and form factor compatible with other members of the Lantronix xPico product family. Key benefits include:
- Easy to deploy and use: No need for software development or to write a single line of code
- Innovative form factor: Compact footprint - 24mm x 16.5mm
- Mobile-ready: Enables direct access to device data via smartphones, tablets and connected PCs
- Soft AP: Unique simultaneous soft-AP and client mode, allows for easy points of access while maintaining a secure network
- Robust: Device server application suite hardened by Lantronix over the last decade
- Secure: 256-bit AES Encryption
- Industrial-ready: Operating environment at extended temperatures: -40° to +85° C
- Standards-based: Conforms to latest WLAN and IP internetworking standards, ensuring interoperability and eliminating vendor lock-in
- Customisable: Designed with customisable capabilities for rapid OEM adoption
- Power: Low-power profile optimised for battery-powered devices
- Peripheral connectivity: Serial, SPI, USB, ADC, GPIOs
- Ease-of-migration: Easy migration path for xPico Wired designs
- Guaranteed: 5-Year limited warranty
The xPico Wi-Fi end-user volume pricing begins at approximately £18.00 for 5,000 unit quantities, and is available for purchase globally through Lantronix.com, as well as through the company’s distribution channels and partners on a worldwide basis.