O2 has announced a new approach to help British businesses tailor services to better suit their customers’ digital needs. Joined Up Customer will see O2 apply over 10 years of experience supporting 23 million consumers across the UK to help enterprise customers adapt to the changing needs of their customers in the digital world.
Rising use of mobile technology has fundamentally changed what people expect from brands as customers can now choose how and when they interact with a business - instant gratification becoming the norm. With consumers more likely to take recommendations on products or services via social media channels before making a decision, O2 believes this radical shift of power to the consumer shouldn’t be feared, but looked upon as an opportunity for businesses to grow.
O2’s Joined Up Customer approach provides organisations with access to the tools and insight needed to respond to what customers want today. O2 will help businesses deliver new, personalised ways of interacting with customers, with a range of technologies that open communication channels through new apps and mobile services.
O2’s expertise in delivering the best customer experience coupled with secure networks and fast connectivity will empower employees to deliver a better service, increase efficiencies and reduce costs. Using this experience, O2 will work with organisations across sectors to provide their customers with the best digital experience. Examples include:
- Offering business to consumer companies (such as retailers and other high street businesses) new ways to attract customers, deliver a consistent experience and foster loyalty. For example, O2 has worked with Debenhams to provide O2 Wi-Fi so customers can connect to fast, free, easy-to-use Wi-Fi, whenever they are in store. They also have access to a huge variety of Debenhams information and special deals as they walk around the store.
- Helping passenger services companies improve the passenger experience and foster passenger loyalty using mobile technology, as well as providing staff with the right technology to help keep customers updated with real-time information.
- Providing local authorities with digital technology to engage with citizens in new ways and increase efficiencies within departments. For example, O2 has worked with Reading Council to develop an innovative new mobile application connecting young people with the support services and resources available to help them get back into work.
Ben Dowd, Business Director at O2, commented: ‘With the rise of mobile and social media, consumers have never been more connected or more influential. With smartphone penetration expected to reach 90% in the next three years and with the advent of mainstream 4G services heralding a much faster and seamless mobile internet experience, this shift of power to the hands of consumers is only set to increase. For businesses that get it right, I believe this power shift presents a huge opportunity to grow.
‘We operate over 450 stores and have more than 23 million customers in the UK so we understand mobility and we understand more than ever before how people’s expectations are changing in the digital age. Our mobile heritage, backed by technology expertise puts us in a unique position to help businesses deliver a personalised, consistent customer experience and ultimately, drive brand loyalty and business growth.’
About Joined Up Customer
The five key technology capabilities of Joined Up Customer are:
- Customer engagement apps and services: Messaging Services, Priority Moments, O2 Money, O2 Wifi, Made-to-Measure Apps
- Data and connectivity: Managed LAN, Managed WAN, O2 Wifi
- Enterprise mobility management: Device and applications strategy, Device provisioning, Security, Connectivity, In-life management and support
- Voice and unified communications: Fixed, Mobile, Contact Centre, Business Video
- Consultancy: Customer engagement, Technology transformation, Mobility
See also: O2 launches vision for digital public sector in the UK