Netgear has announced the availability of the R6300 Wi-Fi Router; the first 802.11ac dual band gigabit Wi-Fi router enabling fifth generation Wi-Fi (5G Wi-Fi) at gigabit speeds. The router is also backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n, which provides optimum interoperability with legacy Wi-Fi devices.
The R6300 Wi-Fi Router, powered by Broadcom’s 5G Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11ac chips, is up to three times faster than today’s 802.11n routers. The router is designed to fit in consumers’ living spaces, where it will increase the coverage area for HD streaming in the home.
The R6300 Wi-Fi Router has speeds of up to 1300Mbps on 5GHz and 450Mbps on 2.4GHz, enabling consumers to download web content from any device in the home in a fraction of the time it would take on a similar 802.11n device. But to get the top speeds devices need to be 5GHz Wi-Fi enabled.
The upcoming 802.11ac wireless standard is the world’s fastest Wi-Fi, providing gigabit Wi-Fi speeds allowing for web content to download faster, and large video or music files to synch more quickly. Netgear said that the increased speed of 802.11ac technology is ideal for mobile devices, like smartphones and tablets, by providing three times the performance for a similar amount of battery consumption of devices utilising the current 802.11n Wi-Fi standard.
David Henry, vice president of product management, retail products at Netgear said: ‘802.11ac is the next-generation of Wi-Fi connectivity and is set to revolutionise the way we consume content wirelessly by delivering Internet speeds up to three times faster than consumers are used to experiencing. Netgear’s leadership in the industry, and collaboration with Broadcom to introduce the first 802.11ac router, will future proof your network by ensuring your home is capable of supporting new faster 802.11ac devices as they begin to roll out this year.’
Other advanced features of the Netgear R6300 Wi-Fi Router include:
• Netgear Genie: a free app for PCs, Macs, iOS and Android smartphones and tablets enables home users to control, monitor, repair, and manage their home networks easily through a simple, elegant dashboard.
• Netgear MyMediaTM: provides the ability to find photos, video or music files anywhere on the network and play them on a DLNA media player.
• AirPrint TM Support: enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an iPad or iPhone.
• Guest network access: makes setting up a guest network simple. Guests and visitors can go online through the router without the need for secure login information. The guest network also prevents users from seeing and accessing a household’s computers, printers, storage devices and other home network devices.
• ReadySHARE Printer: makes it easy to turn any existing USB printer into a fully functional networked printer that is fully compatible with Macs and PCs.
• Media Server-DLNA: The R6300 Router is DLNA ready and can stream to any DLNA compatible device in your house, including the latest Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, media players, game consoles, handheld devices, tablets and more.
• Netgear Live Parental Controls: centralised, flexible, and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones and tablets, for a safe online environment for children and teenagers. No subscription is required.
• Automatic Wi-Fi Security: comes with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box, complete with a pre-configured network name and password, protecting home Wi-Fi networks by default.
• Easy Installation: no CD required so users can set it up with smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, and even MacBook Air.
• 2 USB ports: to simultaneously support USB storage and USB printer on the router.